Thursday, August 25, 2016

I Roll My Own Sushi!

I made sushi for my first time just a few hours ago! I had some help from Eric. I got the recipe from SortedFood. I thought it would be fun. It was.

We had to make some substitutions in the ingredients. We used granulated sugar instead of castor sugar. Instead of rice wine vinegar we used rice vinegar. Mirin has alcohol so I looked up replacements for that. It said we could use vinegar and sugar... no one we asked had vinegar, so we use rice vinegar for that. I decided to only use imitation crab and cucumber for this.

Crab and Cucumber
Waiting for the rice to finish cooking
Eric rolls some sushi
It made five rolls
Each roll made about 11 pieces

We had it with some soy sauce and a little bit more wasabi. I thought it turned out pretty good. Eric said it was pretty good for our first time making it. We only ate one roll so far, but I'm looking forward to eating more. I gave one roll to those in apartment 1. They let us use their sugar.

With the left over ingredients I have I only need to buy more sushi rice and fresh cucumber to make another batch. Life is good.

3 comments:

  1. Totally fabulous! I love that you and Eric made sushi together. What a fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait.... did you just quote Rhett and Link for your title?

    ReplyDelete